Think of all the things that go down your drains, and you’ll quickly understand why they occasionally produce an odor. (Frankly, it’s a wonder they don’t always stink.) Funky drains are unsanitary and unhealthy but might be easily solved with one of these homespun methods.
Try These Tips to Freshen Up Your Drains
At best, grease, fat, and organic matter in your drains can stink up the place. At worse, they can stop up your sinks and bathtubs. The following methods will help neutralize odors and may even dislodge minor clogs. Even better, they won’t damage your pipelines, unlike chemical drain cleaners.
Using the Awesome Drain-Cleaning Power of Vinegar and Baking Soda
A little Chemistry 1010: Baking soda is a base. Vinegar is an acid. When combined, they neutralize one another, bubbling and expanding, like shaking up a can of soda and opening it. This fizzy reaction can help dissolve organic materials and eliminate odors.
- Pour one cup of baking soda into the drain. If you have a small drain, use a funnel.
- Pour one cup of white vinegar into the drain.
- After the solution fizzles out, wait five minutes, then pour a pot of boiling water down the drain.
- Repeat as needed.
Go the Simple Route With Hot Water and Detergent
Boiling water and either dish or laundry detergent may be enough to flush out the smell.
- Pour a pot of boiling water down the drain. This will help loosen any gunk.
- Pour a cup of liquid detergent into the drain and let it sit for several minutes.
- Boil another pot of water while you wait.
- Pour the water down the drain.
If that didn’t work, go ahead and experiment! Try combinations of baking soda, vinegar, hot water, and detergent to eliminate the odor. Once you’ve eliminated the funk, the trick is to keep it from coming back. Continue to use these methods as a preventative measure.
Count on the Marietta Drain Cleaning Experts
If rank drains are a persistent problem that no amount of baking soda and vinegar can fix, you likely have a severe clog deep within the drainpipe. Clogs formed by fat and grease are common culprits of drain odors. At Plumb Doctor, we use cutting-edge equipment to blast away stubborn build-up to banish foul smells for good. Call (770) 293-7080 today to schedule your appointment.